Iowa Lady Loves The Ocean

Iowa Lady Loves The Ocean

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I posted this because I have always Believed It: Feathers from Heaven

In November of 2000, my brother was diagnosed with lung cancer in the final stages. My oldest sister, took on the responsibility of his care. Each weekend I would drive the 300 miles to give her a break by going to the grocery store and pharmacy and helped to take care of our brother.

One weekend, my sister in law told us that she would be fine with our brother for a few hours and for the three of us girls to go spend some time with each other.
We went to lunch and then to the store. On the way back to my brothers house, I asked my sisters to make a promise to me that which ever of us passed first, we would let the others know by giving us a sign. They agreed and we discussed what the "sign" should be.

The oldest, said how about turning on the lights but the middle sister said that would scare her. We laughed and finally decided on a white feather. It had to be some place that you would not expect to see it.

We arrived back at my brothers home, unloaded the car and settled down to listen to some music. I was sitting next to my brothers hospital bed on one side and my sister in law was on the other side, my two sisters were on the sofa talking to each other quietly.

All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see a WHITE feather floating from the ceiling. I thought that I was so stressed out that I was seeing things and I wanted desperately for my two sisters to quit talking and look my way so I could see if they saw it too! Keep in mind that my sister in law was not in the car with us so she did not know of our conversation. My sister in law must have seen the look on my face and she said "How odd, I wonder where that white feather came from"

Immediately, both my sisters stopped talking and started crying! I was too! We all hugged one another then told our sister in law what we had discussed and that we all knew that it was our mother sending us the sign, letting us know that she was with us.

No comments: